Friday, March 19, 2010

Chocolate Bean Cupcakes

1 ¼ cup sugar

1/3 cup margarine, melted (they said soy margarine)

2 large eggs

2 tsp vanilla extract

2 Tbs grated orange zest, optional (I didn’t use it)

1 15-oz. can black beans, drained, rinsed and pureed

1 cup flour

½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder

2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 12 cupcake tins with paper liners (I actually ended up with 15 cupcakes….but I have a broken stone muffin pan, so I can do that!)

To make cupcakes, beat sugar, margarine and eggs on high 3 minutes or until thick and creamy. Fold vanilla extract and orange zest into pureed beans. In small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Fold egg mixture into beans, then fold flour mixture into beans by thirds. Fill cupcake tins two-thirds full. Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 4 minutes.

I found this recipe in a magazine, but sorry, don’t know which one. I tasted the batter and oh my, it’s yummy! Can’t wait for the cupcakes!!

No comments: