Saturday, June 12, 2010

Yay! More Catering!

Call me crazy, but I LOVE to cook. I've come to realize that this is one way I can show people I care about them, appreciate them. Guess that means I'll make a great Grandma someday! :) But this is a passion for me. God has granted me the skills to be a good cook, and also granted me the desire to share the fruits of these skills. So, yes, I've got another catering job. Love it! I am by no means a professional caterer, but rather, I am doing something I love so I am doing my best. (Get it?) My first catering job, many years ago, now, was for the wedding of the daughter of some dear friends. My first chance to cook for a crowd. They had faith in my abilities and let me run with it! Wow (it was also a wonderful experience in that they had an amazing kitchen in their house!) Since then, I've helped with a brother-in-law's wedding, and have recently been asked to cater week-end-long events (at retreats put on by the Hill AFB chapel; I feed the staff, avg from 30-50 people). I love it!! What an experience. Tiring, yes, but so fullfilling for me! I don't get paid, I do it for the experience, and for the chance to bless these people as they reach out and serve and bless others. Many have called me crazy, maybe I am, but I LOVE doing this, truly this is a ministry opportunity for me. Who knows where this will take me, but for now I know that I am serving right where God has asked me to be.
So, you wanna see the menu? :) And yes, most of it is made from scratch by me.
This is for Saturday morning through Monday lunch time
Saturday
Breakfast: muffins (made by the commissary, as we'll be packing and then unpacking until after lunch)
Lunch: sub sandwiches, chips and soda (again, sandwiches made by the commissary)
Dinner: Fruit Tray (early); Meat lasagna; Spinach lasagna; Rolls; Salad; Carrot cake (shhh, I'm hoping my husband will have made the next rank, so I'm making this especially for him....but they don't have to know that!)
Sunday
Breakfast: Bagels; Fruit; Breakfast burritos
Lunch: Grilled Pastrami sandwiches; Fancy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches; Greek Pasta Salad; Chips
Dinner: Chips and salsa (early); BBQ Brisket; BBQ ribs; Baked Beans; Coleslaw; Strawberry Spinach Salad; and Cheesecake Squares for dessert
Monday
Breakfast: Pancakes and sausage; fruit; bagels
Lunch: Brisket in tortillas; BLT Salad sandwiches; Greek Salad; Chips

So, call me crazy, but I'm going to have a good time!

3 comments:

Ashleigh said...

I hope everything runs smoothly and your cooking is enjoyed by all there!

B said...

You go girl!! Miss ya!!

That's how I look at my bread making. I could charge to teach, but Heavenly Father has blessed me and that knowledge can be shared with others to bless them. You rock!!!

Jjlrdomom said...

I should add that although I didn't get paid last time, I did get "coined" which is a big deal in the military and Glenn said it's an even bigger deal because I'm not the military person. There was a team of 4 people visiting from a base in OK to check out how the retreat works, and they were impressed with the hard work I put in, and so they gave me a special commemorative coin! Me, all by myself! Woot! :) (course if anyone wants to pay me or barter, I DO NOT refuse! Heh heh!)