Friday, April 13, 2007

The Sacrifice of Thanksgiving.

Last week I was studying Deborah in my Women of the Bible devotions. Friday I was struck with a powerful message that truly carried me through that hectic time before hubby's departure.

Psalm 50:14 says, "Offer to God the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and pay your vows to the Most High."

The New Living Translation makes it even sharper an image: "Make thankfulness your sacrifice..."

That got me thinking, how can thankfulness be a sacrifice worthy to God?? And then God showed me:

  • Thankfulness is the antithesis to worry, fear, and anxiety. You cannot be thankful and anxious!
  • Thankfulness acknowledges the sovreignity of God!
  • Thankfulness refers all glory to God alone!
  • Thankfulness cannot be faked.

I have to tell you, that carried me through a LOT of junk over the next several days. When I felt worry, fear, distress....whatever, steal over me, I was reminded that God asks for me to "make thankfulness my sacrifice"...and do you know, in every situation God came through in a wonderful way, and to Him alone can the glory be ascribed! It is amazing!

For a long time I have loved Philippians 4:4-7, 4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Hear, O kings; give ear, O princes; I will sing to the Lord. I will sing praises to the Lord, the God of Israel. ~Judges 5:3

No comments: