Monday, July 25, 2011

Chocolate Harvest Bread recipe

It's that time of year again!!  :)  I've pulled 4 zukes off of just one of my plants in the last couple of days and that got me remembering this yummy recipe I found in Sesame Street Parents magazine in the summer of  2000 (so you know it's good, I've had it a while!)

Yield: 16 muffins, 1 large loaf or 2-3 small loaves
1 med. Zucchini, washed and stems trimmed
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
¾ cup milk
½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
2 eggs
1 tsp almond extract
1 cup walnut pieces (optional)
********************
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Generously grease and flour the loaf pans or line the muffin pans with cupcake liners.  Peel and grate zucchini until you have about 1 cup.  Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, cloves, salt, and baking soda.  Using a fork, toss the ingredients until they are well blended.  In a separate, smaller mixing bowl, combine the milk, butter, eggs and almond extract.  Add them to the dry ingredients and stir until blended.  Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for about 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sad none of my plants produced this year. Despite watering often, this part of Texas has been so hot and dry that they just didn't want to survive!

Jjlrdomom said...

I hadn't done well the last couple of years with my squash, but this year a friend suggested I punch holes in the bottom of empty milk jugs, set them right next to each squash plant, and fill them with water to water that way. I do this a couple times a day for both my squash and tomatoes, and they are flourishing!!