Saturday, May 26, 2007

Beautiful Piggies

Proverbs 11:22
A beautiful woman who lacks discretion is like a gold ring in a pig’s snout.

I came across this verse during my quiet time today. I don't know if I've ever read that before, or if I did, perhaps it just never struck me as it did today.

Think about that....what a WASTE to put an expensive gold ring in the nose of a pig who will go around grubbing with it's nose (and therefore, that ring). Nobody will want the ring, perhaps nobody would even recognize it as gold because of it's filth! Really, when you think about it, it's kinda gross.

So, then.....a beautiful woman without any discretion.....she is just like that pig! What a waste! It doesn't make sense! What good is her outer beauty if the inside is still lacking discretion?

Discretion is: "the quality of being discreet, esp. with reference to one's own actions or speech; prudence or decorum: Throwing all discretion to the winds, he blurted out the truth." "Synonyms : judgment, wisdom, discrimination, sense."

Which then made me realize that, just as we pray for Wisdom, we should pray too, for discretion. What a gift! Beauty AND discretion!

Titus 2:5 ,speaking to older women teaching younger woman, says, "...that they may make the young women sober-minded, to be lovers of [their] husbands, lovers of [their] children, sober, pure, keepers of [their own] houses, good, subject to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be evil spoken of. "

There's a purpose for having discretion, did you catch it? "...that the word of God may not be evil spoken of."

I don't want to add more here, just giving you something to ponder.
Remember, I enjoy hearing back on what you think of this stuff. Am I on track? Am I outta my head? Let me know!

No comments: