Monday, February 11, 2008

Do you Yogi??

Don't panic, I'm talking about this:



Still lost?? It's yogurt!
A gallon of homemade yogurt!! I find, with the way my chickies like yogurt, this is the best and cheapest way to do it. And this is plain yogurt, but I also have a great way to flavor it (other than just mixing in something at the last minute). So I thought I'd share the recipe as this is VERY easy to make!

Update!! The following recipe makes 2 quarts so you'd have to double it for a gallon.

1 pkg unflavored gelatin (ya know, like Knox)
1/4 cup cold water
6 cups very warm water
3 cups powdered milk
1 can evap milk (which I didn't have this last time, so I just scalded 1 1/2 cups of milk instead)
1/4 cup yogurt (yeah, you have to have yogurt to make yogurt)

Put 1/4 cup water in small saucepan, sprinkle with gelatin, mix and slowly heat until gelatin has dissolved and mixture is just about to boil. Remove from heat and set aside.

Combine powdered milk with 6 cups warm water and mix well (try to get out all the lumps...good luck!). In saucepan with gelatin mix, pour in evaporated milk and yogurt. Mix well, then pour into warm milk mixture. Mix gently, then set in a very warm place to set for 6-8 hours (I put it in my oven with the light on). That's it! Refrigerate before eating (unless you like really liquid yogurt!). Note that homemade yogurt is a bit "slimier" than storebought.

Now, for flavoring (and if you have picky people who are grossed out by the slimey yogurt). Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a large glass bowl. Pour a 4oz box of FLAVORED gelatin (one of our favorites is lime) into the water and mix until it is all dissolved. To this, add 3 cups of plain yogurt. Mix well, refrigerate. Later you will have a custard like yogurt to make any picky person happy!

No comments: