Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

Okay, I have to admit that simply the thought of New Year's Resolutions can strike fear in me!!!! I am NOT a planner as I associate "planning" with "failing" (which, as you can imagine, frustrates my dear husband to no end!!) And yet, I can't help but ponder the need for resolutions each year. Saturday night, as I laid in bed, I began thinking about things that needed to be looked at for the new year, but rather than my plans, I wanted it to be God plans. And then, wouldn't you know (just like our great big Abba to do), Sunday's sermon was on Jeremiah 29:11-13 For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts and plans for welfare and peace and not for evil, to give you hope in your final outcome. Then you will call upon Me, and you will come and pray to Me, and I will hear and heed you. Then you will seek Me, inquire for, and require Me [as a vital necessity] and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.

So, I figure I don't need to be afraid of New Year's Resolutions....God's already got it planned out, I just need to seek His plans rather than my own. So here is my New Year's Resolution (said with confidence, and head held high)

In the year 2008 I resolve to "Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all [my] heart and mind and do not rely on [my] own insight or understanding. In all [my] ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain [my] paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6)

I know, I know....that's straight from the Bible, but what better place to find a failure proof resolution??? And it stands to reason that this is the only resolution that I need to make.......everything else will fall into place when my priorities are where they need to be (focused on Christ)!

Truly, Abba, this is my new year's resolution! This is a worthy and attainable goal. Help me to keep my life centered on You, to seek Your ways. Father, I cannot attain anything on my own. Open my eyes and my heart, teach me to wait on You rather than stepping forward on my own. I have so many thoughts, directions and dreams, but truly Father, Your way is all I seek. In Christ's name I pray this.......AMEN!!!

No comments: