Friday, March 16, 2007

Boy, O'Boy!

I have been doing devotions from a book called Women of the Bible by Ann Spangler & Jean E. Syswerda. It's a one year devotional of women in scripture. I'm really enjoying it. This week I've been studying on Jochebed (Moses' mom) and Pharaoh's daughter (Moses' adoptive mom).

Before I got into the study, I had been praying for my children; something I don't do nearly as often as I should! I struggle with major "issues" I see rising up in them. I have been deeply concerned with Big D's selfishness. He thinks of himself first, making himself happy, etc. One thing that really stumps me is that he is so eager and willing to help out other people, no matter what the job. He has spent 2 days in our new neighbor's yard helping them clean it up. He used to do this when we were in Louisiana too. It bugs me because I think, "He can't be bothered to help around here."

Well, this morning a lightbulb went off! He is outreach oriented. He is a LOT like his Daddy. Hubby has been able to help and bless many people, while I'm at home tending to the "home fires". Sometimes this has really been a struggle for me, but then I realize that he can be out there doing those things because he knows that I am here, keeping things going smoothly. When I do really need help, he does step in, but otherwise, it is as if this is starting place, his jumping off point. He trusts me to keep things steady here in order for him to be able to minister to the needs of others. That's pretty neat. So I realize it's more of a matter of fine tuning Big D so that he understands his own responsibilities, and from there, can reach out and bless others. (Does that make any sense at all? Cuz it's so totally clear in my head!)

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go [and in keeping with his individual gift or bent], and when he is old he will not depart from it.

The prayer at the conclusion of this week's study was this::
Father, thank You for the gift and calling of motherhood. Help me to remember that my love for my children is merely a reflection of Your own love for them. With that in mind, give me grace to surrender my anxiety. Replace it with a sense of trust and calm as I learn to depend on You for everything.

1 comment:

Chris Steele said...

Wow, you have no idea how much I needed to hear that. Jon & I have been going through quite the transition since he started at the church. He has (what feels like, at least) longer hours, and at times I've felt like I do "everything" at home, including taking care of all of Emily's needs. But I bet that Jon has the same perspective as G. Thank you for helping me see things differently.