Saturday, March 17, 2007

Yummy Scones!

I got an email from a Louisiana friend today (LOVE that baby, C!! Too cute!!) and she asked for my scone recipe. Yeah, we used to attend this neat church in Louisiana that actually served breakfast before the first service every Sunday. And it wasn't just donuts and coffee, but a full-fledged breakfast! And me, with my love for baking? How could I resist? So these scones are one of many of the baked goodies I would bring. And believe me, they're easy enough that I could make them in the morning before heading to church!! The recipe is from Taste of Home, the Dec./Jan '03 issue.

YUMMY SCONES
4 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tbs sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup cold butter (no substitutes!)
1 egg, separated
1 1/2 cups flavored non-dairy creamer, or half and half, (or, in a pinch, I've used a can of evaporated milk)

Your choice of extras.
We like::
Orange zest and dried cranberries
Finely chopped pecans and/or mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients; cut in the butter (I actually do this first part in a food processor and then dump it in a bowl once the mixture is crumbly). In a separate, smaller bwl, whisk egg yolk and creamer; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in the extras of your choice. Knead in the bowl 10 times. Dough should be slightly sticky. Divide dough in half. Pat each portion into a 7 inch circle on a greased cookie sheet. Cut into 8 wedges, but do not separate them.

Beat egg white, brush over dough. Sprinkle with additional sugar. Bake at 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly and serve.

2 comments:

Chris Steele said...

Question about the scone recipe: do you recommend a flavor of non-dairy creamer? I picked vanilla to try with the mini chocolate chips...
About breakfast: while they have branched out and started including yogury, bagles, & cereal, the muffins are STORE BOUGHT, and definitely NOT the same.

Jjlrdomom said...

Well, the original recipe called for hazelnut, but I say...have fun!! I've even used eggnog, which was quite yummy! :) Cinnamon flavor is good with the pecans too. And Southern Pecan would work there too. Have fun! When you're really a pro at it, bring some to church and tell them I miss cooking for them all!! :)